Thursday 1 November 2012

Bali: The Gardens (Part Two)

Just a quick post tonight to share some of the images of Balinese gardens that I snapped during my two brief visits this year - gardeners' eye candy!


This fabulous doorway linked hotel grounds to the beach at Kuta and was just a few doors up from the Ramada, where I stayed for my Kuta conference in June.


A simpler entrance in the same complex


I only saw the one example of this beautiful creeper, but I love it so much I thought it warranted two photos. Can anyone help me out with identification?




Red ginger Alpinia purpurata


This photo and the next half dozen were taken in the grounds of the Hotel Tugu at Canggu where we stopped for lunch after our visit to Tanah Lot.


Landscaping in Bali does that 'secret garden' thing so beautifully.







Yet another of those gorgeous marbled euphorbias.








This and most of the remaining photos were taken at my final location in Bali, Hotel Puri Santrian at Sanur.


The Bael fruit tree Aegle Marmelos  looked stunning when  lit up at night.  The fruit are huge and take nearly a year to ripen. The foliage is a larval food source for some of the swallowtail butterflies.


A bed of plumago


Water hyacinth


 I have such a soft spot for these little squirrels. I was holidaying in  Goa in southern India when I received news of the death of my mother in 2005. Their antics were so life affirming while I took in the news and had some quiet time in the grounds of my hotel.




Spores on the underside of a crows' nest fern.




I think this is Masoa alliacea, the Garlic Vine.



Heliconia


The black and white checked material wrapped around guardian figures is called poleng. The black and white pattern represents the duality of the universe: good and evil equally balanced.  You can read more about Balinese dress and textiles here


There are pairs of wonderful guardian figures in front of many of the temples, hotels, and courtyards throughout Bali.


Marigold garlands in the courtyard of restaurant Made's Warung in Semanyak




Gorgeous banana with patterned upper leaf and red toned underside.


Spotted this lovely tree at Ulu Watu, but they are used widely in street plantings in Jakarta.


Erythrina, the Coral tree

Yellow caesalpinia 'Pride of Barbados'


Love, love, love these birdcage-shaped lanterns at my hotel in Sanur. If I could have packed five to adorn my poinciana back home in Brisbane, I would have.






I saw a couple dining in this beautiful pavilion one evening. How romantic!




Another glorious pink creeper.  I'm guessing this is Congea tomentosa. The pink  blooms appeared to be  bracts rather the flowers themselves like the related blue-flowering Petrea volubilis.







I love these russet-coloured dragonflies.

Here you can see that the tips of his wings are transparent.


Shoreside entrance to one of the hotels at Sanur.

Oh, and if you missed Part One, you can catch up here !


5 comments:

  1. Definitely eye candy. I wish plants grew like that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Ros. My poor garden is looking like a desert after such a dry stretch while I was away.

      Delete
  2. Marisa, another lovely post on another beautiful place. I would love to visit Bali one of these days. I could easily get lost in such lovely scenery.
    The plants are gorgeous, and the plantings have given me lots of ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely as pretty a place as you could ever hope to visit and a veritable gardener's paradise.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for dropping by, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...