Saturday 15 October 2011

October Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

This is my first posting for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, which showcases blooms and gardens around the world on the 15th of each month. It is mid Spring here in Brisbane and there's so much to love in my garden at the moment, it's been difficult to choose which favourites to share.

I have been very impatiently waiting for this bromeliad to flower, and it was definitely worth the wait.

Guzmania 'Giselle'


This is a recent addition and I am absolutely smitten. It is the most beautiful cherry colour with a purple cast to the centre of the flower. I only planted it in my front garden about a fortnight ago and it is thriving.

Cuphea 'Vienco'

This is an Australian native known as Flowering Lignum. It was a chance purchase about 18 months ago and is also doing very well in the front garden. According to the description card attached, it grows in clay soils on flood plains, so that might be what suits it here. I have patches of clay and rock in the front. (I think the landscapers took too much of the topsoil when I had the front yard terraced.) It also says that it is suited to arid areas, so it will be interesting to see how it fares if this summer is as wet as last year. It is a very straggly shrub with spindly leaves, and masses of these speckled flowers.


Eremophila polyclada


I have taken a number of photos of this pachypodium but none that feature the whole plant show the true colour of the flower - a bright citrus yellow. And yet I don't have the same problem with close ups, which are always true to colour as you can see below. I guess there's a scientific reason for this, but it certainly eludes me.








Rondeletia amoena


Finally, an early morning shot of walking iris blooms before they open for the day.


Neomarica northiana

For more Garden Blogger's Bloom Day posts, please visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. Great photos! The bromeliad flowering looks amazing; I love it when mine flower. (I'm not a gardener, but I have a few in my yard.) Jade Connor from WEP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spring is our fall. Spectacular flowers at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Bloom Day. It's fun to see what is growing where you live.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to visit the other side of the world on bloom day. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy GBBD! Your flowers are amazing. I've not seen most of these, but they are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments. This opposite season garden viewing is fun. I am already picking up some great ideas about what to plant when Autumn comes next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI. Happy GBBD! I love the bromeliad! Frustrating isn't it when a flower doesn't show up well in a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer@threedogsinagarden
    Hi Marisa, Belated happy GBBD! The flowers in your garden are all unknown to me and more the interesting for it. The bromeliad that you opened with is so exotic and beautiful. The leaves and flower are like fireworks. I have also never seen a walking iris before. The blooms have a really unique shape.
    P.S. I got a good chuckle out of your yin and yang sleeping dog picture.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...